So, here we are. You’ve made the decision to start decluttering your home.
You’re excited! You have a mental picture of the Pinterest worthy home you will have after this process is finished and then you get that feeling of overwhelming dread. The big question hits you…..
Where do I start?
Deep breath. You can do this. Don’t let this moment of dread allow you to talk yourself out of doing this. We are going to get mentally prepared first.
You can systematically declutter your home without getting overwhelmed. Here are a couple of things you need to know before you get started.
- You do not have to get this done in a specific timeline. This could take you a week or a year to go through your home and declutter everything.
- You do not have to do it all in one shot. I know everyone says that you need to do it all at once, but we have lives. If you have a week off that you can dedicate to making a dent in the process, awesome, but you can fit this into your life in increments of 10-15 minutes or dedicate an entire day to the process.
- This process is not a one and done process. You will declutter your entire life. Maybe not in the same way that you go through this process, but you’ll consistently be working to keep the clutter out of your home, one day at a time.
- This is your journey. You cannot make anyone else in your home get on board or demand it. Until they see your progress and your commitment to keeping your places clutter free, don’t be surprised if they don’t jump on board. You may be the only person in your house who goes through this process at first. That’s okay.
- Only you can decide what needs to go. And you cannot decide for someone else what needs to go. This is challenging if you live with others.
- You can do this.
Now that you are mentally prepared, let’s get started….